OMGWTFBBQ!!1!


Don't be
dismayed at goodbyes,
A farewell is necessary before
you can meet
again.
And meeting
again, after moments or
lifetimes, is certain for
those who are
friends.

- Richard Bach

Friday, March 11, 2011

Melophelia

Please click 'play' on the video, and then continue reading...


So... the past few days have been a little cold, a little grey, and a little dreary, which has been slowly bringing me down off of my high and into a slight state of melancholy. I've just been feeling a little flat - like a tire that just needs a bit of air.

Usually, when I start to feel this way I pick up my guitar and play Bach's 'Air on a String'. The lightness of the melody fills my soul with a fresh breath of much needed air, and I carry on. Or I call my friends and someone will go out with me, and we'll sit and talk and at the end of the night they will put their arms around me and warm me with their love.

Being here, I have no guitar... and I don't really have a friend who could give me a long, warm hug. I write in my blog and post pictures on Facebook just to feel connected to you guys, but the physical sensation that live music brings with the resonance of the strings, or the warmth of the human touch is lacking from my laptop.

Today I went to the Mensa (cafeteria) to have lunch. I sat by myself and looked out the window as I enjoyed a warm meal (this is a rare treat for me as I still don't have my kitchen fully set up). On my way out I heard a faint voice of a piano resonating through the walls. I knew right away it was a real piano as I could feel the vibration in my body, however faint.

I stopped.

It was coming from above. I slowly walked up the stairs and felt the music getting louder. I knew I was on the right track and my heart fluttered with excitement. I haven't heard a real piano in months, and the melody that was coming through the walls sent shivers through my whole body. On the top floor, there were two doors, and one was labeled "Musikzimmer"... I knew I found my haven.

I gently cracked open there door, and a wave of music washed over me. A student sitting behind the piano stopped playing and looked at me with surprise. I apologized for interrupting and told him that I heard beautiful music coming from the room, and I just had to experience it. I asked him if it was okay for me to be there and to just stand quietly and listen. He seemed taken aback by my desire to listen to him practice, and was very bashful about his performance. I told him I love music and just want to be in the room with the vibration - just for a little bit. He said it was no problem and continued playing.

I recorded a small segment of his performance, which you are hearing right now.

As I looked out the window at the grey clouds, his melody brought me to tears, and I was overjoyed to have been at the right place at the right time.

On my way out I thanked him profusely for letting me stay for a bit and told him his music moved me beyond words. I told him that I had just come from Canada last week and have been feeling a bit down the past few days, but that his music lifted my soul and brought me right back home. He appreciated my compliments and said that the only music he knows from Canada is Celine Dion and Bryan Adams. I laughed and explained that his music didn't take me back home to Canada, but rather brought my soul to a place of peace and comfort. The warm vibrations of the strings wrapped around me like the arms of all my friends and family, and I was consoled by the melody his soul was singing.

He was extremely humbled by my words and thanked me for the compliments. He told me that the piano room is available for anyone to practice, so I now know where I'll be going when I feel down.

Coming back home to my cold room I lit a candle that was given to me by a good friend before I left. I had been saving it for a time when I really needed its warmth to comfort me. The sweet scent of mulled wine fills my room and the warmth of its glow fills my heart with love, and again - I'm home. ^__^

4 comments:

  1. I am overjoyed that you have found a place to experience music there. I know how much it refuels you.

    What a beautiful piece of music. I can imagine it resonating so deeply.

    When I light my candle tonight, and smell its sweet fragrance, I will think of you. You are so loved, dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Penguin.
    Minute by minute I've been feeling better and better today. The candle is almost done, and my room smells fantastic.
    I still have the pomegranate one, and am saving it for a special day too.
    ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a great post. Thank you for doing this, your writing is so good now and you're letting it all out, on the internet, for all of us to share :)

    So perhaps, you should get a guitar :) check the 'craigslist' of Bonn and find a used one for cheap? And here's a long hug from Toronto...
    ((( ^___^ )))
    the laptop doesn't quite cut it, I know...lol, my Chloe is pretty warm, but overheats when we cuddle and starts complaining.. so I hear ya.

    I'm glad you found that pianist - it sounds like you embarrassed him, haha, but I'm sure he genuinely appreciated your words (in english?), thats very kind of you. Did you ask him if you could post this on the internet?? lol I hope you use the piano often, and not just when you're down :)

    ReplyDelete